Start Date: November 2017
Job Status/Type: Humanitarian Volunteer
The Shoklo Malaria Research Unit provides free medical care for migrants and refugees from Myanmar in three clinics along the Thailand-Myanmar border. Clinical work is often done in combination with research activities. At the moment a position is available for a clinical general doctor and an obstetric doctor to supervise locally trained staff. We are looking for caring enthusiastic physicians with at least 2 years of clinical experience who would like to strengthen the team and improve the delivery of medical care in this low resource setting. It is preferable for a physician to stay long term (> 6 months), but shorter periods (minimum 3 months) can be discussed.
- Supervise the management of clinical patients
- Help with the management of the medical department
- Respect the procedures and policies of the clinic and SMRU
Description of Responsibilities:
- Outpatient, inpatient and emergency patient care for adults, children, infants, term neonates and pre-term neonates
- Supervise locally trained medics and nurses
- Follow the local clinical guidelines
- Supervise and assist with basic procedures (wound care, burn care, incision & drainage)
- Collaborate with physician colleagues for patient care, management of the medical department and possibly support research activities
- Supervise the referral of patients to hospital or to other organizations
- Provide weekly teaching sessions for local staff
- Treat staff and patients with dignity and respect. Keep in mind that their life and work experiences may give them knowledge and wisdom that is very different from yours.